Monday, August 30, 2010

Brazilian Wax Prices Pittsburgh

. The review


Photobucket
Hi! would that it were winter already ...



http://giotto.ibs.it/cop/copj13.asp?f=9788841856383
Graceling Kristin Cashore
of
De Agostini
€ 14.90

I resume the plot for those who had not seen the previous post ...

PLOT: All Graceling have the eyes of two different colors. All Graceling have a gift. But it is difficult to know what gift have: sometimes it's hard to understand for themselves and control it. There are almost useless gifts, such as the ability to repeat the words backwards or to remember certain details. Katja is eighteen years old and his gift is a terrible weapon in the hands of his uncle, King Rand. The future may hold a safe place alongside the man or vindictive endless surprises, such as meeting with Graceling an intense gaze that seems to know all too well

The author: Kristin Cashore was born in Boston and lives in Florida after the master's degree in literature for children, she devoted herself full time to writing. Graceling is lucky his book debut, released in the U.S. by Harcourt in October 2008 and currently being translated into twelve languages.


There are books that inspired nose immediately, but that for reasons of force majeure is set aside, forgotten, then grow back out and it fortunately reveal nice surprises. This has happened with
Graceling, a book that I noticed at the Book Fair of Turin (to be honest they were publicizing the great Fire suite / prequel, but I was attracted to the first volume). Again once there has been a force majeure and I avoided the purchase (I had paid my money in less than no time in buying other "urgent" type books that I could not find comic books and I was lost, yes to the book fair I dared to buy the comics .. ..)
But first love is never forgotten and when it reappeared the title, a blog that I did not know, I thought it was fate and I are procured. I would say that I was right!

wait a reprint (perhaps cheaper) as in this first edition I noticed a few 'typos too many for my taste, but definitely buy it.

What prompted me to devour the pages of this book? Hunger? Maybe the hunger for a story vaguely original. The interest in these
Graceling, human beings with eyes to David Bowie, who counts with the gifts (and gifts can be totally weird and useless), I immediately fired.
On paper the conditions were good and the book I was not disappointed: a touch of originality, strong heroine (finally one that you beat up everything, including mountain lions, and all), which runs adventure ; to the sound of treks in the mountains, a nice writing and pressing (no first hand this xD) characters plausible and intriguing.


Ma .. there is a but ... if anyone is looking for a hard and pure fantasy in this book will only shade , an atmosphere, a map placed at the beginning but nothing more. There are Seven Kingdoms identified in a slightly 'smoky, a number of territorial disputes, sometimes there is some' set back, power-hungry king who do not hesitate to use at their leisure the Graceling. Obviously those with the most interesting gifts (puppets in the hands of the king) and who has a useless gift is marginalized and ridiculed. No Graceling has a life spensierata.

La storia si concentra soprattutto sulla vita di Katje sul suo percorso per trovare se stessa, per cercare di capire chi veramente è e come vuole essere.
 (In originale si chiamava Katsa, che abbiano cambiato il nome per la vaga somiglianza ad una certa parolaccia?)

 Citando il The New York Times Book Review:

" Un debutto particolarissimo e coinvolgente. Katje scombina e smonta ogni stereotipo culturale relativo alla debolezza femminile, in un personaggio pieno di fascino: incarna il sogno di potere di molte ragazze. Cashore plays with the idea of strangeness, as of a certain age gifts and talents are of the conviction, as make it impossible to find its place in the world ... Between battles and resistance Cashore presents a portrait of the acute awakening the senses, ambivalent, angry, hilarious, wise, depending on the situation, in a perfect parable of adolescence, between the rush of powerful emotions and the ability to control them. The teenagers of this novel, as some that we could meet and grow with their gifts. Up to realize that their individuality is not at all monstrous monstrous .


And all of a evolution of psychology, we follow the characters on their journey, and we can see with our eyes, their inner growth. The Gifts are a curse for many, too powerful to handle the wrong person can lead to disastrous consequences, Katja must learn to control her. The only way to do this is to learn more about itself, breaking down the walls that was built around.


The rest of the story is from vegetables, secret tips, mad kings, cousins to save trips to extremes in unexplored lands. Be that as it is a nice side dish, not very detailed, perhaps with some inconsistency, but pleasant to read.

That 's what I (or maybe others) define pink fantasy, where the scenery and the atmosphere medieval-Callback, warriors and war, intrigue, different races, etc. while the focus of the story is protagonist with his personal stories and sentimental.

When it comes to feelings will jump out of a he, right? (So far I have not read fantasy starring gay but you never know ...).

The male in question is Po (you read correctly, PO, as less glorious history) that you quietly step on the protagonist, who is not ashamed to be weaker, is beautiful like the sun and jeweled / tattooed like all the inhabitants of the land.

Po ; a Graceling, Prince of Lienid, and for all is a powerful warrior, the only one who actually holds the head of the protagonist.
obviously has a secret that will be crucial to the unfolding of history and especially to the end but it is better not to reveal to avoid spoilers. Even

Katja has a secret even she knows that is his gift to the store for a surprise ...

but I endured last sin is the lack of a villain worthy of the name (bad I can not always reveal the spoiler), does evil deeds, but little appears in the book, does not interact much with the main characters and it seemed a bit 'put it there so why should there be. We say that could be explored in a bit more.

Ultimately my view is certainly positive, taking into account the target to which the book is aimed satisfies the needs of a female audience craving for fantasy settings, but appreciate a touch of pink more. An undemanding
book that reads quickly, an entertainment that will positively a few hours of your life.



booktrailer The ugliest in the history of booktrailers ....


the next


0 comments:

Post a Comment